Gajar ka Halwa is a spectacular Indian classic dessert made with shredded carrots harnesses the natural flavor of cashew butter and sweetness of carrots into a dish so delicious, you’ll be making it over and over.
- 2 teaspoons safflower or other neutral oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped or halved raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 2 1/2 cups (320 g) or more grated or shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup (28 g) almond meal or coarsely ground almonds
- 1 1/4 cup (312.5 ml) almond milk
- 1/4 cup (59.15 g) ground raw sugar
- 3 tablespoon cashew butter or safflower oil
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cardamom powder or saffron strands
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cashews and cook until lightly golden, 2 minutes. Add raisins and pistachios and cook until the raisins puff up, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the grated carrots to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add almond meal and almond milk and mix well. Reduce heat to low-medium. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar, cashew butter, salt, and cardamom. Mix in. Cook for another 20 to 30 minutes or until all the almond milk has almost been absorbed. Depends on the moisture in the carrots and the stove. Stir occasionally.
- Taste and adjust sweet. Continue to cook for another few minutes or until roasted to desired consistency and color. Serve warm or chilled.